top of page

About Us

Number 2 Conferencing and Events is strategically located in the center of town. There are many ways to get to our facilities, including public transportation, taxi or private car. Our stellar location also puts us close to many top restaurants, hotels, and entertainment venues around the city. For information about nearby accommodations or to find out more about the area, please contact us.

Number 2 beam inscription

A venue full of history.

At Number 2 conferencing and Events we are incredibly proud of our Grade 2 listed building. Rich in history since 1836 the ‘Old Sunday School’ has seen many changes to Truro over the last century. 

 

Built in 1835-1836 as ‘St. Mary’s Sunday School’ by the Parochial Council of St Mary’s Parish Church with funding from the government and the Truro Corporation, in addition to private donations and contributions sourced from the church rate, an unpopular tax levied on parishioners at the time.

 

When Truro was chosen to be a cathedral city, it was assumed the parish church of St Mary’s would be demolished but the renowned architect John Loughborough Pearson gained permission to keep at least part of the church, leaving only the south aisle cleverly incorporated into Truro Cathedral in 1880.

 

Schooling within the building under the Church of England’s ‘National School Society’ soon broadened from Sunday education of boys to the education of both boys and girls and, continued until the new national school at the top of Pydar Street was built in 1890-1891.

 

In 1892, an alleged arson attack saw the building reportedly ‘gutted’ in a fierce fire. Following this and on condition of being rebuilt, the building was let to the ‘Good Templars’ lodge as a Temperance Hall.

 

In 1923 the building had fallen into disuse and dereliction with a large number of structural faults, the parochial council members decided that instead of selling the building it should be renovated as a public hall. According to early 20th century records community events took place for many years following.

 

In our opinion the building was designed to be part of the community and to be used by the local people of Truro and the surrounding areas; so through Number 2 Conferencing and Events it can undertake this role once more.

Today, our space has retained the amazing historical features from the timber framed vaulted ceiling, to the biblical inscriptions still seen in the beams. And with a lot of sympathetic renovation this historical building has merged with modern lighting, furniture and technology, to provide a space for use today and into the future. 

bottom of page